Friday, August 20, 2010

Expanding Markets

Americana and a general interest investing in timeless pieces has been successfully marketed to the American male. Lines like LL Bean Signature and Lands End Canvas have been well recieved. Now it is has come time for this trend to expand to other markets. I believe Alex Carleton, who makes variations on the iconic bean boot for LL Bean Signature, has started the exploration of a very niche market with the release of this black leather bean boot.

Photobucket

Sexual deviants have paid women dressed in black leather to whip them for sometime now. Of course, since this has been popular amongst those looking for something else in their sexual lives, dominatrixes's gear has begun to wear out. Much like the American male, dominatrixes want to invest in a black leather piece that will last them for sometime. Now I don't have anyway to know this for sure, but it appears to me that this black boot was intended to market the Americana trend to dominatrixes. It's perfect for their line of work as it's rubber and waterproof (I don't have to tell you what they need waterproof boots for), has a bit of a heel which makes the woman more dominating than if she weren't, and it's black: the dominatrixes color of choice.

Photobucket

Of course, to me, I feel as though this is the beginning of the end of our beloved Americana trend. With others not in our 'bro' group buying the same things we do, we will feel we are losing our identity and may feel as though we our beginning to be associated with dominatrixes (assuming they pick up on LL Bean Signature's boot offering). Like any sane man, I sure as heck don't want to be associated with these sexual deviants.

Alex Carleton is walking a very fine line here. He must not alienate his current customers while expanding upon his profits. I sure don't want to fight over a pocket flap oxford with a dominatrix in a JCrew store (but it's marked down to $29.99!).

#keepdominatrixesoutofjcrew

6 comments:

  1. Can we stop mourning the death of Americana before it actually happens? No self-fulfilling prophecies, please.

    Besides, even if it dies, it won't really be dead -- at least not in the way that your 3rd grade goldfish is dead. It'll be "dead" like Latin is "dead": no longer at the height of its glory, but still appreciated for its influence and durability. Except I don't think they'll be offering high school courses in Americana anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not mourning the death of Americana here. Read into it, bro. If ironic means "things are not as they seem", then we'll call this post ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get that picture of my Mom?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I got the irony... it just hit a nerve because so many others are out there predicting that the Americana "trend" is on its deathbed, but I'm not convinced. And I've made it my personal mission in life to prove to everyone on the internet that I'm right! I turned the AC in my house down to 55 just so I would have an excuse to wear my Red Wings and Filson jacket!

    Kidding, of course. But seriously, is fall here yet??

    ReplyDelete
  5. this trend already has more fetishists than a fetish club dungeon on a pretty busy night

    ReplyDelete