Wednesday, July 6, 2011

8.15

Occasionally, mostly from me, I think there tends to be a worry about market oversaturation. This is really just a post to convince myself of something. I would like to think that market oversaturation isn’t very desirable. Oversaturation tends to matriculate down to cheaper brands, which just copy off of the brands that were originally producing for that style. Enter August 15th. There’s nothing new here. Neither is the price point. How does this brand attract consumers? Beats me, I wasn’t able to turn up much besides that they’re carried by Unionmade. I would like to imagine these people to be a bunch of assholes who are looking to make a quick buck off the heritage revival by selling them the same stuff they’ve been sold for the past 3 years and some crappy flash website. That’s probably not the case. They're probably a bunch of people who love quality clothes. I tend to be a cynic, in case you haven’t noticed.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Why should we embrace new brands since we’ve already found brands that make quality clothes? Because the new brands keep the older brands honest. They encourage the quality of garments to be held to the highest standard and the price point to be more competitive. If it turns out that 8.15 makes a better $200 chambray than the next brand, then the people buying a shirt that expensive will prefer the 8.15 shirt. If another brand makes a shirt of the same quality as 8.15 for a lower price point, then people will buy that other brand’s shirt. There's nothing new here. Oversaturation is better for you and me than undersaturation. Some brands will fall under the steam roller of capitalism, but hey, workwear loves America and industry. You don't make things that people don't want and become successful here. Don’t cry over a business risk that didn’t pan out. Banks still seem to be willing to front just about anything. Maybe you should start a wooden swan business? That seems due for a revival. My grandmother gave my family one but I haven’t seen too many floating around these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment