Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Reasonable

Perhaps out of a desire to write about new things, to be first amongst amateur menswear reporters, we forget about simple things like LL Bean and other mid-range brands.

“Nah, brah, even my undershirts are three figures.”
“Was it a custom order for Context?”
“My jacket was inspired by Shackleton’s doomed expedition but I’ve never been out of Maryland.”

No doubt these things are cool, but tend to feel precious because of their price tag, despite their rugged intentions. Now a decent coat on the cheap? That, most people can get behind. Orvis offers the best options when it comes to gear that would fall under what some people call cool and at the same time, something that you can trash. They carry a good amount of Barbour but also offer a line of their own that gets little to no face time. Most of the items are under $250, which in comparison is cheap. Medium is as small as they go, so fashionistas clamoring for a slim cut can bug off to H&M. For inspiration on how not to look like a soccer dad when you wear these, just look at Tommy Ton’s winter photos. I’m sure you’ll find something.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. These look good, but I am no fashionista, I am just a typical Asian guy who is 5"7. Only wish they made a size small and they would get more business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 5'10", 130 pounds. I am not a fashionista, I'm just a guy who looks bad in your typical relaxed-fit small shirt/coat/etc. But with Orvis, I don't have to worry about fit, as they don't even offer a small. Ditto the previous comment, basically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first 2 and the last jacket very much. It's a good fitting well made jackets, and of my own choice. Looks fabulous. Provide some information on the jeans & the hooded t-shirts also. I love to wear the dress shirts with the jeans in my office and also used them as a casual wear.

    ReplyDelete